Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 1/2 pound chicken pieces, skin removed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- Place prepared chicken pieces in large saucepan. Add water, celery, onion and salt; simmer, covered, 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare dumplings. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in shortening until texture of split peas. Add milk to make a stiff dough. Roll
dough out on a lightly floured surface to about 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 1-inch strips, squares or diamonds.
- Remove chicken from bone; return chicken to chicken stock. Bring chicken and stock to a boil; add rolled dumplings. Cover and boil gently 8 to 10 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Food Exchange: Per 3/4 cup serving, may be exchanged for 2 Medium Fat Meat, 1 Starch.
Five Bean Soup
- 5 (16-ounce each) packages dried beans: lima, great northern, kidney, pinto and split peas (enough for four batches of soup)
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- Combine beans; divide into four equal 1 pound batches or about 3 3/4 cups each.
- To Make Batch of Soup: Wash one batch of beans. Place in a large kettle; add enough water to cover bean. Bring to a boil; cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Tie spices in a cheesecloth bag.
- Drain and rinse beans. Return to kettle; add spices and 2 1/2 quarts water. Bring to boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and heat through. Remove spices and serve.
One batch makes 14 servings (3 1/2 quarts).
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 cup): 191 calories, 293 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol, 35 gm carbohydrate, 13 gm protein, 1 gm fat.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 meat.
Sweet Potato Bisque
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
2 slices bacon, diced
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 new potatoes, peeled and diced
6 cups flavorful chicken or vegetable stock
1 tablespoon SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat; add bacon.
- Cook for about 2 minutes to render the fat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic, and saute for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Then add the orange juice and reduce to thick syrup.
- Add the potatoes and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking and cayenne.
- Ladle mixture into a blender and pure thoroughly in batches; strain and season with salt and pepper. If the soup is too thick, thin with a little chicken or vegetable stock.
- Serve warm.
Makes 8 servings.
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour
Nutrition Info Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 180 | Calories from Fat 45 | Fat 5.0g (sat 1.0g) | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 860mg | Carbohydrates 29g | Fiber 3g | Sugars 8g | Protein 5g