- 1 medium head cabbage, cored and shredded
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
3/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, onion, and 1 cup SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, salt, celery seed, 1 teaspoon SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener, mustard and oil. Bring to a boil, and cook for 3 minutes. Cool completely, then pour over cabbage mixture, and toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.
Makes 8 servings.
Note: Submitted by a home cook, this recipe has not been tested by the SPLENDA® Test Kitchens.
Nutrition Info Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 220; Calories from Fat: 190; Total Fat: 21g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 320mg; Total Carbs: 8g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugars: 4g; Protein: 2g
Asian Pea Pod Salad
6 cups torn romaine
2 cups fresh pea pods, trimmed and halved crosswise
1/3 cup bottled Italian salad dressing
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large salad bowl toss together the romaine and pea pods. In a small bowl stir together the dressing and hoisin sauce. Pour over romaine mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Makes 6 side-dish servings.
Nutritional facts per serving: calories: 98, total fat: 7g, saturated fat: 1g, monounsaturated fat: 2g, polyunsaturated fat: 4g, cholesterol: 0mg, sodium: 153mg, carbohydrate: 6g, total sugar: 3g, fiber: 2g, protein: 2g, vitamin A: 0%, vitamin C: 25%, calcium: 4%, iron: 6%
Asparagus and Carrots with Asian Vinaigrette
8 ounces baby carrots with tops, trimmed to 2 inches, or packaged peeled baby carrots
12 asparagus spears
4 cups torn red-tip leaf lettuce or leaf lettuce
1 cup fresh enoki mushrooms
Asian Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
- In a medium skillet cook carrots, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, snap off and discard woody bases from asparagus. If desired, scrape off scales from asparagus spears. Add asparagus spears to carrots. Cover and cook for 4 to 6 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain; immediately plunge vegetables into ice water. Let stand for 1 minute. Drain and pat dry.
- Line salad plates with lettuce. Arrange carrots, asparagus, and mushrooms on lettuce. Drizzle with Asian Vinaigrette. If desired, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Makes 4 side-dish servings.
Asian Vinaigrette: In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup bottled Italian salad dressing, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper.
Nutritional facts per serving (1/4 of recipe): calories: 98, total fat: 7g, saturated fat: 1g, monounsaturated fat: 2g, polyunsaturated fat: 4g, cholesterol: 0mg, sodium: 153mg, carbohydrate: 6g, total sugar: 3g, fiber: 2g, protein: 2g, vitamin A: 0%, vitamin C: 25%, calcium: 4%, iron: 6%
California Broccoli Salad
- 2 heads fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
4 tablespoons SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups light mayonnaise
12 slices extra lean turkey bacon
1 cup sunflower seeds
- In a salad bowl, toss together broccoli, raisins and red onions. In a separate bowl, whisk together SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener, vinegar, and mayonnaise. Pour over broccoli mixture, and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Dice, and set aside.
- Sprinkle broccoli salad with sunflower seeds and crumbled bacon, toss, and serve immediately.
Makes 12 (3/4 cup) servings.
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours 35 Minutes
Nutrition Info Per Serving (3/4 cup): Calories 200 | Calories from Fat 90 | Fat 10g (sat 1.0g) | Cholesterol 10mg | Sodium 410mg | Carbohydrates 25g | Fiber 3g | Sugars 15g | Protein 6g