Holiday Breakfast Braid
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon active yeast
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 cup warm water
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups turkey or pork sausage, browned
- 2/3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2/3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Prepare the bread recipe*. Layer the first 7 ingredients in a food processor and pour in 1 cup warm water (110°F / 45°C). Knead dough with food processor for several minutes. Add a small amount of flour, if needed, until dough forms a nice ball. Place on a floured board.
- Next, brown the sausage. Then, beat the eggs and milk together and scramble in a non-stick pan until firm.
- Roll bread out into a 10 x 16-inch rectangle.
- Place scrambled eggs down the center of the dough. Top with mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, and then top with sausage. Using a pizza wheel, cut dough in from both sides at an angle about 1-inch apart. Next, braid the strips over the center ingredients to form a loaf.
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until it is a nice golden color. Slice and serve.
Makes 12 servings.
*You may substitute the bread with 2 loaves of frozen dough, thawed, or 2 tubes of refrigerated pizza dough.
Recipe provided courtesy of Iowa Egg Council.