Breakfast Ham Focaccia
- 1 (12-inch) round or square focaccia (Italian flat bread), split horizontally
- 3/4 cup mascarpone cheese (3-ounces)
2 tablespoons finely chopped bottled roasted red sweet peppers
2 teaspoons snipped fresh rosemary
6 large eggs
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon butter
16 slices cooked ham, thinly sliced
Asiago Cheese Sauce (recipe follows)
Snipped fresh rosemary or parsley (optional)
- Preheat broiler. Broil cut sides of focaccia until toasted. Remove from broiler.
- In a small bowl, combine mascarpone cheese, roasted peppers and rosemary. Spread some of the mascarpone mixture on each half of the focaccia. Cut each half of the focaccia into 4 wedges or squares.
- Meanwhile, with a whisk or fork, in a medium bowl, beat eggs, water, salt and pepper together until combined. In a 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Pour egg mixture into skillet. Cook, without stirring, until mixture begins to set. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes more or until eggs are cooked through but still moist, lifting and folding often to assure eggs cook evenly. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- To assemble focaccia, broil cheese-topped wedges or squares for 2 minutes. Top each with 2 slices of ham and some of the scrambled egg mixture. Spoon some of the Asiago Cheese Sauce over each wedge or square. If desired, garnish with additional snipped rosemary or parsley.
Makes 8 servings.
Asiago Cheese Sauce: In a small saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Stir in 1 cup half-and-half or light cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in 3/4 cup grated Asiago cheese until melted. Makes about 1 1/4 cups sauce.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 517, Protein 72 grams, Fat 25 grams, Sodium 883 milligrams, Cholesterol 216 milligrams, Saturated Fat 11 grams, Carbohydrates 50 grams, Fiber 2 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Pork, The Other White Meat .