- 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
3 cups all-purpose or bread flour
2 tablespoons wheat germ
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
1/3 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon honey
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons cornmeal
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, salt, bacon bits, cornmeal, oil, honey, and eggs. Stir in the yeast mixture and knead to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat, cover, and allow to rise until doubled; about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down; form in a greased loaf pan sprinkled with cornmeal, and allow to rise again; about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the top is browned.
Makes 1 loaf.